Kakamega Man Who Left Home 47 Years Ago Disappointed After Finding Two Wives Have Remarried

As much Peter Oyuka didn't give his expected time of return when leaving, he did not take the news kindly and wondered why they couldn't wait for him to return

Story Highlights
  • Oyuka is said to have returned to Kakamega five years later in 1983 but never went home to visit his family.

Eighty-four-year-old Peter Oyuka is an angry man after returning home to find that the wives he abandoned 47 years ago found new men and remarried.

The octogenarian walked out of his Makale village in Malava, Kakamega county in 1974 aged 37. He told his people that he was going in search of greener pastures because he needed to take care of two wives and five children, although details of where he was headed and his expected return date were scanty.

According to The Standard, Oyuka visited Kakamega in 1983, 1992 and 1996, but never set foot in his home despite being in close proximity to the family.

After a wait that seemed endless, the desolate wives moved on, got new partners and settled into new marriages.


With 47 years gone, Oyuka walked back to his home on Tuesday, September 21, to a village where only a few individuals could recognise him. As a matter of fact, one of his daughters-in-law almost raised alarm over fears that he was a stranger who had trespassed into the compound. In line with the Luhyia customs, a white goat was sacrificed to pacify the ancestors before the prodigal son was allowed back into the home.

The returnee was informed that the women he left behind had long moved into other homes and put memories of him behind them.


As much he was grateful that his family had accepted him back, he was disappointed that his wives did not stay around to wait for him.

The other development in the story is that, while he was away from home, Oyuka ended up in neighbouring Tanzania where he spent 13 years.

It is a period within which he not only met and fell in love with a Tanzanian woman but also sired a child with her.

When his stay in the country ended and he returned to Kenya, communication between the two collapsed.

Facebook aided his return home

Oyuka’s return to the home he abandoned started courtesy of a Facebook post in which a Good Samaritan shared details about the old man and asked for leads to his family.

As luck would have it, his 53-year-old son Aggrey Osanji, whom he abandoned aged six, saw the post and initiated contact, after which he was brought back home. Oyuka also revealed that his health has been failing and the money he once made from onion farming has been spent on medication, that is why he was desperate to find his way back home.

The Standard

Related Articles

Back to top button